We are sorry that there has been no Francophone Africa update in a while due to technical issues. Thank you for your patience!
African students fleeing war in Ukraine detained in EU immigration facilities and face racism. The Independent. African Arguments.
Senegal army’s operation in Casamance displaces 6,000 in Gambia. AlJazeera. TV5. AfricaNews.
Mali’s former PM Soumeylou B. Maïga dies in custody. Le Sahelien. The Independent.
France’s withdrawal from Mali: a selection of resources.
- “Why France failed in Mali” by N. Powell on War on the Rocks.
- “The End of Operation Barkhane and the Future of Counterterrorism in Mali” by M. Harris, C. Doxsee and J. Thompson for the Center for Strategic and International Studies.
- « Barkhane est morte, pas l’interventionnisme français », un podcast d’Afrique XXI.
- “France’s Troop Withdrawal from Mali”, I.Y. Ibrahim and R. Moncrieff are guests on Crisis Group’s podcast.
- “What to make of the French exit from Mali?” by O. Ba and O. Diallo on AlJazeera.
La MINUSCA en Centrafrique : Les casques bleus impopulaires. IFRI
Mass grave discovered in Central Mali; MINUSMA accuses the Malian army and Russian Wagner group. The Africa Report. Jeune Afrique.
Sahel: Moving beyond military containment policy report. Atlantic Council
Burkina Faso’s Francis Kéré becomes first Black architect to win the Pritzker prize. The Guardian. AlJazeera. The Conversation. ArchDaily.
Série: A la redécouverte des classiques de la philosophie africaine. Le Monde
New parliamentary report shows Africa is still misrepresented in UK school curriculum. Full report available here. Blog about it on African Arguments.
Bruxelles: le groupe de travail sur la décolonisation de l’espace public rend son rapport. RTBF.